Tuesday, September 29, 2026
Comfort Ye My People
Come, Follow Me Study Notes | Isaiah 40–49 | September 28–October 4, 2026
Summary
Isaiah 40 begins with a dramatic change in tone: “Comfort ye, comfort ye my people.” After chapters filled with warnings of judgment, captivity, and destruction, Isaiah turns toward hope.
Israel would experience defeat and captivity. Jerusalem would fall. To people who might wonder whether God had abandoned them, Isaiah gives a powerful answer: He has not forgotten you.
These chapters repeatedly remind us who God is. He is the Creator who does not grow weary. He strengthens those who have no strength. He holds His people by the hand. He calls them by name. He walks with them through fire and water. He forgives sin, redeems His people, and promises that He will never forget them.
The central message of Isaiah 40–49 can be summarized simply:
God remembers us even when circumstances make us wonder whether He does.
The official Come, Follow Me lesson identifies several major themes: Jesus Christ gives comfort and hope; we can serve as His witnesses; God’s power is greater than worldly power; and the Lord can refine us through affliction. (Church of Jesus Christ)
Memorable Verses to Mark
Isaiah 40:11
“He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom.”
God’s power is not merely the power of a king. Isaiah describes the Almighty God tenderly carrying His people like a shepherd carrying lambs.
Isaiah 40:29
“He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.”
God does not demand that we first become strong enough to deserve His help. He gives strength precisely because we lack it.
Isaiah 40:31
“They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles.”
Waiting upon the Lord is not passive resignation. It is continuing in faith while trusting God’s timing.
Isaiah 41:10
“Fear thou not; for I am with thee.”
This may be one of the clearest summaries of these chapters. The Lord does not merely say that frightening circumstances will disappear. He promises something greater: His presence within them.
Isaiah 41:13
“I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.”
This is a remarkably personal image. The God who created the heavens describes Himself as taking us by the hand.
Isaiah 43:1
“Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.”
We are not anonymous to God. He knows His children individually.
Isaiah 43:2
“When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee.”
Notice that the promise is not that we will never encounter deep water or fire. The promise is: “I will be with thee.”
Isaiah 43:10–11
“Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord.”
Those who have experienced God’s goodness have a responsibility to testify of Him.
Isaiah 44:22
“Return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.”
Repentance is not simply turning away from sin. It is returning to Someone who already wants us back.
Isaiah 46:4
“Even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you.”
God’s care is lifelong. He does not abandon His children when they become weak, old, discouraged, or dependent.
Isaiah 48:10
“I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.”
Trials can become places of refinement. God can use experiences we would never choose to shape us into something greater.
Isaiah 48:18
“Then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea.”
Obedience produces something deeper than momentary happiness. Isaiah describes covenant peace as something continuous and flowing.
Isaiah 49:15–16
“Can a woman forget her sucking child? … yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands.”
This is perhaps the most memorable promise in the entire week’s reading:
The Lord has not forgotten me.
Lessons I Learned
1. God Is Much Bigger Than Whatever Frightens Me
Isaiah repeatedly contrasts God’s power with earthly kingdoms, rulers, idols, and nations.
Babylon appeared overwhelmingly powerful to Israel. Yet from God’s perspective, even the nations are temporary.
That raises a useful question:
What is my “Babylon”?
What circumstance seems so large that I have begun treating it as though it were larger than God?
Isaiah invites me to change my perspective. My problem may genuinely be difficult, but it is not beyond God’s power.
2. “Fear Not” Does Not Mean Nothing Bad Will Happen
Isaiah does not promise a trouble-free life.
He says:
When you pass through the waters.
When you walk through the fire.
The gospel promise is not:
You will never experience difficulty.
The promise is:
“I will be with thee.” — Isaiah 43:2
That changes how I understand faith. Faith is not confidence that everything will happen the way I want. It is confidence that God will remain with me regardless of what happens.
3. God Gives Strength to Tired People
Isaiah 40:28–31 is especially meaningful because it acknowledges exhaustion.
Even strong people become tired.
Even young people stumble.
But God “fainteth not, neither is weary.”
When my own strength is depleted, I am not limited to my own resources. I can draw strength from Someone whose strength is inexhaustible.
Sometimes the miracle may be that God removes a burden.
At other times the miracle may be that He increases my ability to carry it.
4. I Am Called to Be a Witness
Isaiah 43:10 says:
“Ye are my witnesses.”
A witness does not need to know everything.
A witness simply tells what he or she knows and has experienced.
I can ask:
What evidence have I personally seen that Jesus Christ lives, helps, strengthens, forgives, or guides?
Those experiences constitute my testimony.
The Come, Follow Me manual suggests imagining ourselves on a witness stand and considering what evidence from our own lives we could offer in support of Christ’s claim that He is the Savior. (Church of Jesus Christ)
That is a powerful way to think about testimony.
5. Affliction Can Become Refinement
Isaiah writes:
“I have refined thee … I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.” — Isaiah 48:10
A furnace is uncomfortable precisely because it is hot enough to change something.
Some experiences in life reshape us:
- disappointment
- illness
- failure
- loss
- uncertainty
- difficult relationships
- professional challenges
- unanswered prayers
The question may not always be:
“How do I get out of this?”
Sometimes a better spiritual question is:
“What is God trying to develop in me while I am here?”
Affliction itself is not automatically sanctifying. But when we turn toward God within affliction, He can transform suffering into refinement.
6. God Has Not Forgotten Me
Israel says:
“The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me.” — Isaiah 49:14
God answers with one of scripture’s most tender metaphors.
Could a mother forget her nursing child?
Even if such a thing happened, God says:
“Yet will I not forget thee.”
Then He adds:
“I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands.”
For Christians, it is difficult to read those words without thinking of the wounds in the Savior’s hands.
The marks of Christ’s sacrifice become an eternal reminder of His love and redemption.
When I feel forgotten, Isaiah teaches me that my feelings are real—but they are not necessarily an accurate description of God’s relationship with me.
What This Means to Me
The message I take from Isaiah 40–49 is that discipleship does not mean that life will always feel secure.
Israel experienced captivity.
People became discouraged.
Some wondered whether God’s promises had failed.
Yet God had not changed.
That is important because sometimes I judge God’s faithfulness according to what is happening around me.
Isaiah asks me to reverse that reasoning.
Instead of interpreting God through my circumstances, I should interpret my circumstances through what I know about God.
He knows me.
He calls me by name.
He gives strength when I am tired.
He holds my hand when I am afraid.
He walks with me through fire and water.
He can refine suffering into growth.
And above all:
He does not forget His children.
Questions for Personal Reflection
- What situation in my life currently requires me to hear the words “Fear not; for I am with thee”?
- Where have I seen God strengthen me when my own strength was insufficient?
- What experience from my life could I offer as a witness that Jesus Christ lives?
- What might God be teaching or developing in me through my present “furnace of affliction”?
- Is there something I need to stop trying to control and instead “wait upon the Lord”?
- Who around me may currently feel forgotten, discouraged, or overwhelmed?
- How could I become part of God’s answer to Isaiah’s command: “Comfort ye my people”?
One Thought to Remember This Week
God never promises that I will avoid every deep water or fiery trial. He promises something better: “I will be with thee.”
And when I wonder whether He has forgotten me, Isaiah gives God’s answer:
“Yet will I not forget thee.” — Isaiah 49:15
Additional Study
Come, Follow Me—For Home and Church: Old Testament 2026 — Isaiah 40–49
The official lesson includes passages emphasizing comfort, witnessing of Christ, God’s superiority to worldly powers, and refinement through affliction. (Church of Jesus Christ)
1 Nephi 22
The Come, Follow Me lesson recommends reading 1 Nephi 22 to see how Nephi interpreted and applied Isaiah 48–49 to his people and to the latter days. (Church of Jesus Christ)
Patrick Kearon, “He Is Risen with Healing in His Wings: We Can Be More Than Conquerors”
The official study guide recommends Elder Kearon’s April 2022 general conference message as supplemental reading on Christ’s healing and redemptive power. (Church of Jesus Christ)
Come, Follow Me lesson: Come, Follow Me — Isaiah 40–49
Keywords
Isaiah, comfort, Jesus Christ, redemption, hope
A particularly strong theme for this week’s study is “The Lord will never forget me.” It would also make an effective focus for an accompanying blog image—Christ as the Good Shepherd with a person walking through dark water toward light, visually tying together Isaiah 40:11, 43:2, and 49:15–16.
Labels: comfort, hope, Isaiah, Jesus Christ, redemption
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.